After passing the UN competitive exam, I joined the UN Centre on Transnational Corporations in New York. At the Centre I worked closely for three years with the General Editor, John H. Dunning, on the UN Library on Transnational Corporations, a set of readings covering all economic aspects of transnational corporations and foreign direct investment. The set comprises 20 volumes and is the biggest project ever to come from the Centre. It was published by Routledge of London in 1993 and 1994. In 1992, I moved to the UN Economic Commission for Europe in Geneva where my assignments included trade and investment promotion and facilitation, relations with the European Union, statistics, and finally, the promotion of links between Europe and Asia.
I was born in 1957 in Novi Sad, Serbia. I completed my education in economics by shuttling between the Universities of Novi Sad, Belgrade, Amsterdam and Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario). Throughout the 1980s I worked on and off in the oil business, most notably in the Middle East. During this time I also studied with the help of grants from both the Dutch and Canadian governments. I have always maintained a strong academic interest in international economic integration, which I started reading in Amsterdam in 1980.
For access to information about books and articles please click here
My principal academic and research interests are in:
- International economic integration
- Evolutionary economics and geography
- European Union
- Enlargement of the European Union
- Location of firms/industries and spatial economics
- Industrial, trade and competition policies
- Transnational corporations and foreign direct investment
I won the Daeyang Prize for Year 2010 for the best article ('Is globalisation taking us for a ride', September, pp. 501-549) published in the Journal of Economic Integration in 2010.
I have given courses and public lectures at the following academic institutions:
- Austria: Johannes Kepler University, Linz
- China: Nankai University, Tianjin
- Croatia: University of Zagreb
- Cyprus: Intercollege, Nicosia; University of Nicosia
- England: University of Cambridge
- Greece: European Summer Academy, Spetsae (Panteion University, Athens)
- Germany: University of Reutlingen; University of Mannheim
- Italy: Academia Europea, Bolzano; University of Genoa; University of Insubria-Varese; University of Modena; University of Trento; Florence International Autumn School
- Japan: Institute of Developing Economies Advanced School (IDEAS) of the Japan External Trade Organisation (JETRO), Chiba-Tokyo
- Republika Srpska (Bosnia and Herzegovina): University of Banja Luka
- Russia: Saint Petersburg State University
- Serbia: Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Belgrade; University of Belgrade; European Centre for Peace and Development of the UN University for Peace, Belgrade; Ilija M. Kolarac Foundation, Belgrade; John Naisbitt University (former Megatrend University), Belgrade; University of Novi Sad; Novi Sad School of Business; Faculty for European Legal and Political Studies, EDUCONS, Novi Sad
- Switzerland: University of Geneva; University of Basle, Europa Institut
- US: Columbia University, NY; Kent State University, Cleveland, OH; Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
- Wales: University of Cardiff
Professor of Economics (from 2011) Faculty for European Legal and Political Studies (EDUCONS, Novi Sad, Serbia); Visiting Professor of Economics (from 2007) and Senior Research Fellow (from 1996) European Centre for Peace and Development of the UN University for Peace and Development (Belgrade); Visiting Professor of Economics (from 2008) John Naisbitt University (former Megatrend University, Belgrade).
Visiting faculty, European Summer Academy at Spetsae (Panteion University, Athens); Director of Studies (1992-2006).
Economia Internazionale/International Economics: Scientific Board member (from 2016).
I am also a referee to several journals and book publishers.
I have written and edited books, as well as contributed to the Routledge Encyclopedia of International Political Economy (2001) and The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management (2013).
Well, that is all for the moment. You are welcome to contact me in English, French, Italian or Serbian.